Passing it on ...

Moderator: SoF HQ

Passing it on ...

Postby Gayle » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:45 pm

My girls (9 & 11) have been learning how to knit at school. The grade 6 teacher has a knitting club in the lunch break and they have elderly ladies come in and teach. Bree and Ash are loving it! They are knitting scarves and although they have some 'breathing holes' they are doing so well.
Knitting and sewing are crafts that seem to be getting lost with the older generations so I think its great to see little kids getting excited about it.
Will post some photos when they get a bit further :)
**Gayle**
Scrapbooking Blog - http://gayles-scrapbooking.blogspot.com
Gayle

Re: Passing it on ...

Postby MaryC » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:44 pm

That's awesome Gayle; I'm so pleased to hear they are doing well.

Having taught textiles/fashion for several decades at Secondary School, I am obviously still passionate about crafts being taught at school.
Mary
Grandmother to 9 precious grandchildren.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up.
MaryC

Postby ScrapHappy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:58 pm

That is fabulous Gayle!!! So great to hear the skills and love of the craft is being passed on, and also that the girls get the exposure to the older ladies and all that they have to offer as women, not just their crafting skills. Titus 2, where the older women teach the younger ones, it's a biblical principle yet we seem to be losing it. So great to hear it is happening in your girl's school Gayle :D :D
I'm Tracey from Sydney, married to Cameron and mum to Andrew (17) and Claire (13).
ScrapHappy

Postby miss~nance » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:17 am

Thats wonderful Gayle.

When Royce was in primary school a mum came in once a week to run a crochet class at lunchtime that Royce went to. He helped make many squares for rugs to be given to the needy.
miss~nance

Postby Sally » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31 am

I remember at Primary school each Wed afternoon was art and craft for the grade 4 up kids. We had parents and friends come to school to teach different skills.

We did ceramics, pottery, leatherwork, macrame, crochet, basket weaving, that paint you do on material & that's just what I can remember, there were more. You chose a craft and did it for the term. Some of my best school memories were from those classes :D

So great to hear that some schools are still doing something similar :D
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Sally
Site Admin

Return to Knitting